TOW Apartment 21

This fan fiction picks up from my previous one, TO On Valentine's Day.

Disclaimer - These characters do not belong to me. They belong to Bright, Kauffman, and Crane Productions and Warner Brothers. This is intended for entertainment and not profit.

Written by: Jenna Blanchard

[Scene: Monica and Chandler's. Monica is there. Chandler is still asleep. Rachel enters.]

Monica: Oh, hey. How are you doing?

Rachel: Okay, I guess. I thought I'd go to work.

Monica: Really?

Rachel: Yeah...if, if Ross stops by, tell him where I am if he asks, okay?

Monica: Okay.

Rachel: Thanks. (Exits.)

[Time lapse. Chandler is now awake. Ross enters.]

Monica: Ross! Where have you been!?

Chandler: You didn't sleep with anyone, did you?

Ross: No, I, I stayed at a friend's place. It's fine.

Chandler: Which friend?

Ross: An old museum friend.

Chandler: Guy or girl?

Ross: Guy. It's Albert. You met him at my second wedding bachelor party.

Chandler: Oh, okay. (To Monica.) It's cool.

Monica: Have you talked to Rachel?

Ross: No.

Chandler: Are you going to?

Ross: I kinda have to.

Monica: She went to work!

Chandler: What!? She picks today to go to work?

Monica: She was depressed. She said maybe it'd help to get out and do something...

(Ross exits.)

Chandler: I wonder what's he's gonna do.

Monica: Me too. I hope they work things out.

Chandler: I'm sure they will. I mean, come on, it's Ross and Rachel. They've been in love for the longest time.

Monica: Yeah, but they've had more problems than any couple I've ever met.

Chandler: But it always ends up being okay.

Monica: I wish I could be as optimistic as you about this.

Chandler: What? You don't think it'll work out?

Monica: I don't know. I mean, it's Ross and Rachel.

Chandler: Another point you have there.

Monica: No, I mean, I know they've been in love forever, yeah, but something always seems to get in the way.

Chandler: Ross's jealousy is the only thing that's gotten in the way.

Monica: No, there's other stuff too! Okay?

Chandler: Like what? (Sees Monica glaring at him.) ...of course you're right!

[Scene: Rachel's office. She has told her boss about the baby. I say supervisors because I don't know who her boss is.]

Kim: Congratulations!

(Note from the author - I don't know if her boss is still Kim. I'm just assuming that it is.)

Rachel: Thanks...again...for the third time. Um, I just wanted you to know that that's why I've been missing work.

Kim: Oh, it's fine, really. I just thought you were gaining a lot of weight. (Pause.) Sorry about that. How many months are you?

Rachel: Almost five.

Kim: That's wonderful news.

Rachel: Yes...I should really get to work now, though. I've missed a lot.

Kim: Yes, of course. Congratulations again!

(Rachel goes into her office.)

[Scene: Joey and Rachel's. Joey is there. Ross enters.]

Joey: Hey, man! Where were you last night?

Ross: Rachel and I...

Joey: Yeah, you had a fight, I know that. She told me.

Ross: What did she say?

Joey: She said she ran into Mark the other day and didn't tell you and that you found out and you guys had a big fight. She was really depressed. I thought you knew, I mean...you were there.

Ross: Is she trying to blame this on me?

Joey: No way, man. She was saying how it's her fault and how she should have told you.

Ross: I gotta go. What time did she leave for work?

Joey: About an hour ago.

Ross: Thanks. Bye.

(Ross exits.)

[Cut to hallway. Phoebe walks up the stairs as Ross is leaving Joey's.]

Phoebe: Ross, hi!

Ross: Hey, Pheebs.

Phoebe: What happened last night?

Ross: I'll explain later. I gotta go.

Phoebe: Whoa, no way, you'll explain now. Tell me.

Ross: Well, okay. Here's the quick version. Rachel ran into Mark and didn't tell me, we got in a fight, I haven't talked to her since last night.

Phoebe: You didn't sleep with anyone, did you!?

Ross: No! I did that just the one time! Stop asking me! I'm never gonna do that again! I'm not that stupid. I gotta go now.

Phoebe: Okay, bye. Good luck.

[Scene: Rachel's office. Rachel is just sitting at her desk.]

Rachel: (To herself.) I can't do this.

(She gets her stuff and exits.)

[Scene: Monica and Chandler's. Monica and Chandler are there. Rachel enters.]

Monica: Rachel! You're supposed to be at work!

Rachel: I was. I came home. I just, I'm so...I don't know.

Chandler: Did you talk to Ross?

Rachel: No, why? Did you see him? Is he okay?

Monica: He's fine! He stayed at a friend's place last night. He came by this morning looking for you.

Rachel: Was he mad?

Chandler: We couldn't really tell. We just know he was looking for you.

Rachel: Where did he go?

Monica: I don't know.

Chandler: How about we go down to the coffeehouse and wait? I'm sure he'll look there, considering we're there throughout most of the day. (Pause.) We should really hang out at different places.

Rachel: Okay, not the time to talk about that.

Monica: What if he comes up here?

Chandler: Well, I really want coffee, 'cause I'm really tired, so I think we should try the coffeehouse for a while.

[Scene: Central Perk. Monica, Chandler, and Rachel are there.]

Rachel: You were right, Monica. I should have told him. I messed things up. It's all my fault.

Monica: Well, I think he overreacted a little bit.

Rachel: No, no, he had every right to get as mad as he did.

Monica: Come on, Rach. You shouldn't have to tell him every time you talk to a guy!

Rachel: This was different. It was Mark. I knew how he felt about Mark. What was I thinking? You were right, Monica. He would've been fine if I had just told him in the first place.

Chandler: Do you think you guys are gonna break up again?

(Monica and Rachel glare at him.)

Monica: Chandler!!!

Chandler: What? I was just asking.

Rachel: I wouldn't blame him if that's what he wants. I was so stupid...no wonder he doesn't trust me.

Monica: Rach, he was just mad when he said that. I'm sure he trusts you.

Rachel: I hope so. I think I might go home. I mean, if he goes to my office and I'm not there, he'll probably try my apartment. Or maybe he'll call.

Monica: Yeah, that's a good idea. We'll hang around here for a while.

Rachel: Thanks, you guys.

Chandler: No problem.

(Rachel exits and Monica hits Chandler.)

Chandler: Ow! What was that for?

Monica: (Imitating him.) Do you think you guys are gonna break up?

Chandler: I was just asking! Do you think they're gonna break up? (She hits him again.) Ow!

[Scene: Joey and Rachel's. Joey is there. Rachel enters.]

Joey: Hey, Rach. (Not in the Joey way, of course.) How you doing?

Rachel: I'm okay, I guess.

Joey: Didn't talk to him, yet, huh?

Rachel: (Sighs.) No.

Joey: It'll be okay.

Rachel: That's what everyone says, but I really don't know if it will be, Joey.

Joey: I'm sorry.

Rachel: Oh, don't be. It's not your fault. It's mine.

Joey: Come on, Rach. Don't be so hard on yourself. Listen, I gotta get to my audition. Sorry I can't stay here with you.

Rachel: No, it's okay. Good luck.

Joey: Thanks. Feel better, okay? (Exits.)

(Rachel sighs and sits down on the chair.)

[Scene: Rachel's office. Ross enters and talks to whoever. I don't know if she has an assistant anymore or if it's still Tag or whatever. I'll just call the person Receptionist.]

Ross: Is Rachel Green here?

Receptionist: No, she left.

Ross: How long ago?

Receptionist: About a half an hour. I could give her a message when she returns...

Ross: No, it's okay, I'm a friend. This isn't business. Thanks for your help. (Exits.)

[Scene: Rachel is still sitting, now eating ice cream and listening to music. Phoebe enters.]

Phoebe: Hey, Rach, how are you doing?

(Rachel looks at her.)

Phoebe: Yeah, okay.

Rachel: I don't know if I even want to talk to him.

Phoebe: Why not?

Rachel: Because what if he wants to end it? He said he couldn't trust me, and I don't blame him.

Phoebe: You gotta talk to him either way. You can't just avoid him. Sooner or later you'll confront.

Rachel: I know, I know. That's what I'm doing. Waiting for him.

Phoebe: Well, I just stopped by to see how you were doing. You probably don't want to go to the movies with me?

Rachel: No thanks, Pheebs.

Phoebe: Okay, well, I hope things work out. I'll see you later.

Rachel: Bye.

(Phoebe exits.)

[Scene: Central Perk. Chandler and Monica are still there. Ross enters.]

Chandler: Ross, man, where have you been?

Ross: Looking for Rachel. Is she at her apartment?

Chandler: Yeah.

Ross: Thanks. (Starts to leave.)

Monica: Whoa, wait a minute. What are you gonna do?

Ross: Look, just don't let her leave. I'll be back in about a half an hour, okay?

Monica: Okay...

(Ross exits.)

[Scene: Rachel's apartment. Time lapse. Monica enters.]

Monica: Hey.

Rachel: Hi. Did he show up?

Monica: Yeah, but then he left again. I'm not sure what's going on. He didn't seem too mad, but he left right away, so I just don't know. I came to see how you were doing. By the ice cream and mixed tape it doesn't seem so good.

Rachel: Eh. I'm just scared, I guess. I don't want this to end.

Monica: Neither do I. I was there last time. And all those other times. (Pause.) But that first time is the most important. I know how much you love each other. More than anyone I have ever known.

Rachel: Then why do we fight so much?

Monica: I don't know, but I do know you're meant for each other. You've got something so great, maybe the fighting just comes with it. Happiness doesn't come without a price.

Rachel: Yeah, I guess you're right. I just can't believe how stupid I was for not telling him.

Monica: It wasn't all your fault.

Rachel: But it was. I just hope he'll forgive me.

Monica: I know. Me too. Do you want me to stay?

Rachel: No, that's okay. I need to be alone right now.

Monica: Okay. Don't eat too much of that stuff. (Ice cream.)

Rachel: I'll try not to. Oh, and no more "happiness doesn't come without a price" clichés, alright?

Monica: Right. It just seemed like a cliché moment. Bye. (Exits.)

[Cut to hallway. Ross walks up the stairs.]

Monica: Ross! There you are! Where have you been!?

Ross: Out. Is she in there?

Monica: Yes...

Ross: Do you have any wine?

Monica: Yeah, in the wine cabinet...

Ross: Thanks. (Goes into Monica's apartment.)

(Monica smiles and walks down the stairs.)

[Scene: Central Perk. Monica and Chandler are there.]

Monica: I really think they're gonna be okay. Except for Ross because if interrupts me one more time I will kill him.

Chandler: Hey, remember the time you had lunch with Richard and didn't tell me?

Monica: Yes. Vividly.

Chandler: That didn't turn out so bad.

Monica: Yeah. We almost got married.

Chandler: Now we are married.

Monica: Maybe I should run into Richard again.

Chandler: Yeah. (Laughs and then pauses.) You're just joking, right?

Monica: Yeah.

Chandler: Yeah, okay. (Laughs.)

[Scene: Joey and Rachel's. Rachel is still there. Ross enters.]

Ross: Hey.

Rachel: (Turning around and standing up.) Ross...

Ross: We need to talk.

(Ross walks over and sits down on the couch.)

Rachel: Ross, I am so sorry. You were right, I mean, I should've told you...

Ross: No, don't be sorry. I'm the one that should be sorry. I was way out of line. There was no reason for me to get as mad as I did. It's not my place to tell you who you can or can't talk to. That's your call, not mine. I'm sorry, Rach. Will you forgive me?

Rachel: Oh, God, I love you.

(She hugs him.)

Ross: I have a surprise for you. Come on.

(Ross takes her hand and leads her out of the apartment.)

[Scene: Central Perk. Monica and Chandler are there. Joey enters.]

Chandler: Hey, Joe. I thought you had an audition tonight?

Joey: Tomorrow night. Did Ross and Rachel make up?

Monica: I don't know, but I think they will.

Joey: Well, I'm gonna get going...

Monica: No!

Joey: What?

Monica: You can't go home, Ross and Rachel are up there. You'll interrupt whatever's going on.

Joey: What if they're fighting? We want me to stop that!

Monica: What if they're making up?

Chandler: It's no use arguing. You may as well stay here.

Joey: Aw, man. (Sits down.)

[Scene: Hallway outside the two apartments. Ross and Rachel are there.]

Ross: Okay, you ready?

Rachel: Yeah...

Ross: (Walking down the hallway a short distance until we see a door on the same side as apartment 19. On the door would be the number 21. Ross opens it and takes Rachel inside.) Here we are. Our new apartment. (There are candles lit around the apartment, which is the size of Ross's old one.)

Rachel: Oh my God.

Ross: Do you like it?

Rachel: Yes! I didn't even know this was empty!

Ross: Yeah. The guy that used to live here moved out a couple days ago.

Rachel: Oh, it's wonderful.

Ross: I love you.

Rachel: I love you too.

(They kiss.)

(Note from the author: Of course there has to be an apartment down the hall. Monica and Joey's apartments are next to the stairs, so they must be the only ones on that end. Have you ever been in an apartment building where there were just two apartments on one floor? No. So there, apartment 21. It has to be there.)

[Scene: Central Perk. Everyone except Ross and Rachel is now there.]

Phoebe: Any word from them?

Monica: No. I guess they're still talking or fighting or whatever. And don't comment on that, okay Joey?

Joey: I wasn't. Except...

Monica: Shush!

Joey: You're shushing me!?

(Ross and Rachel enter hand-in-hand.)

Phoebe: Oh, hey, you guys made up! Oh, yay.

Rachel: Yeah. And Joey...

Joey: I didn't do anything with your red lipstick.

Rachel: That's not what I was... (Pause.) Which red lipstick?

Joey: Nothing, nevermind.

Rachel: Okay, well, Ross found us an apartment. We're moving out.

Joey: Oh no!

Chandler: That's great, guys. Congratulations.

Monica: Where's the apartment?

Ross: One door down from yours.

Monica: Um, what?

Ross: Apartment 21. Right next to Joey's.

Chandler: Wow, I didn't know there was an apartment down the hall.

Rachel: Oh, it's great. We'll show you later.

Joey: You're moving out!? You're leaving me?

Rachel: I was going to move out anyway, Joey.

Joey: Well...just down the hall?

Ross: Yep.

Joey: So I can visit whenever I want?

Rachel: Um, whenever we let you, yeah.

Joey: Okay, I guess.

Monica: This is so great. Why don't you show us right now?

Rachel: What about your coffees?

Chandler: We've been down here for three hours. This is my eighth latte.

[Scene: Ross and Rachel's apartment. Everyone is there.]

Monica: This place is okay.

Chandler: Okay, you're just jealous. It's bigger than ours.

Joey: Yeah, and these guys have the big TV. We'll be here all the time.

Monica: My apartment is way better...

Chandler: Our apartment.

Phoebe: This place is amazing. You guys are lucky you got to it so fast.

Rachel: I know.

Monica: Well, I guess I'm glad that you got an apartment in this building.

Ross: It is pretty great, isn't it?

Joey: Yeah. Y'know, now Rachel and I can go out for our last night.

Rachel: Hopefully with no power outages or fires.

Chandler: Y'know what, we should all go out to dinner to celebrate.

Monica: Oh, yeah.

Ross: Yes, yes, that would be good. That way it's not just Joey.

Joey: Yeah, that would be cool.

Rachel: So, tomorrow night?

Joey: You're moving out that fast?!

Ross: Her stuff is already packed, Joey.

Chandler: Oh, yeah, you never unpacked from before. If we helped you guys could be moved in in a few hours.

Joey: What are you doing, dude?! No way, you guys should move Rachel's stuff tomorrow.

Ross: Or tonight.

Joey: Tomorrow.

Ross: Tonight.

Joey: She's my roommate!

Ross: She's my girlfriend!

Phoebe: Aw, how cute. They're fighting over you, Rach.

Rachel: Oh, I know. (To Joey and Ross.) Hey, Joey, don't you think we've waited long enough for this?

Joey: Yeah, okay. I'm sorry.

Monica: And then we can go hang out in my apartment!

[Scene: Joey and Rachel's. It's now empty of Rachel's stuff. Joey is there and Rachel is about to leave.]

Joey: So, this is it. We're not gonna be roommates again. Ever. You're not my roommate Rachel anymore. You're just my friend Rachel.

Rachel: I know. But it's right down the hall.

Joey: I know. I just love living with you.

Rachel: I love living with you too, Joey, but Ross makes me happy, and...

Joey: No, I know, I know. I'm really happy for you guys.

Rachel: Thanks, Joey. That means a lot to me.

(They hug.)

Joey: Goodnight, Rach.

Rachel: Goodnight. (Leaves.)

[Cut to hall.]

Joey: (Calling down the hall.) Bye!

Rachel: Bye.

Joey: See you later!

Rachel: Goodnight, Joey. (Goes into her apartment.)

Joey: Goodnight!

(Pause.)

Joey: Okay, bye!

- End -

I want feedback! E-mail me at Jenna_Blanchard@yahoo.com. Look for the continuation of this one, TOW The Art Museum.