Ross and Rachel forum Forum Index Ross and Rachel forum
A forum to discuus Ross, Rachel, Friends and everything else

FAQFAQ      SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINAL RATINGS UPDATE: 65.9 Mil Viewers Bid Friends Farewell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ross and Rachel forum Forum Index -> Season 10
 << View previous topic:   ::  View next topic: >>  
DanG82
A new Ross and Rach fan

Post FINAL RATINGS UPDATE: 65.9 Mil Viewers Bid Friends Farewell!
Fri May 07, 2004 8:21 am
Reply to topic Reply with quote

FINAL UPDATE!

NBC Research released its numbers today, and as I predicted, they were MUCH higher than the Nielsen ratings. An estimate of 65.9 million viewers actually saw at least some part of the Friends finale! The final Nielsen ratings have the episode with 52.5 million viewers, making it the highest-rated but second-most-watched Friends episode of all time. The final article is posted below all the other ratings news...

It has been a pleasure to provide the ratings for all of you over the past four years. There will certainly be a feeling of emptiness on Thursday nights for awhile without Friends.

Fortunately, we have Joey to fill the Friends timeslot! This may be the end of Friends, but it is not the end of Planet Dan's ratings coverage. Stay tuned for Joey Ratings Presented by Dan, coming this September!

--Dan Ginsburg

----------

The Friends Ratings archive is now complete! The final season ended up with an average of a 16.8/26 and 26.9 million viewers for new episodes, making it the second-highest-rated Friends season for new episodes (thanks almost entirely to finale night). For all episodes, it averaged a 14.4/23 and 22.8 million viewers, making it the sixth-highest-rated Friends season for all episodes (hurt by the lower number of new episodes). It ranked third overall this season behind CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and American Idol (Tuesday), though it moves up to second if you only include new episodes.

Check out all the numbers:
http://newmusicandmore.tripod.com/friendsratings.html
Check out the complete season ten numbers:
http://newmusicandmore.tripod.com/friendsratings10.html

----------

PLANET DAN
Home of the only complete online Friends ratings archive!
http://newmusicandmore.tripod.com/friendsratings.html

Read my thoughts on the eve of the Friends finale, "It Was Friends...":
http://newmusicandmore.tripod.com/friendsfinale.html

Please note that I write these articles. Do not use them without my permission. Thanks.

----------

FRIENDS RATINGS PRESENTED BY DAN

FINAL UPDATE

AFTER TEN AMAZING YEARS, FRIENDS CONCLUDES ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL SITCOM RUNS OF ALL TIME AS THE NUMBER-ONE COMEDY FOR THE SIXTH SEASON IN A ROW, AS THE SERIES FINALE MARKS THE MOST-WATCHED ENTERTAINMENT BROADCAST IN NEARLY SIX YEARS WITH AN ESTIMATE OF 65.9 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS WATCHING AT LEAST PART OF THE EPISODE AND AN OVERALL AVERAGE OF 52.5 MILLION VIEWERS!

It's all over. After an amazing ten-year run during which it possessed the ratings power to take over the anchor position for NBC's Thursday night "Must-See TV" lineup after just one season, then never left the top five, Friends concluded on Thursday night, May 6, 2004, with a one-hour retrospective clip show followed by a one-hour-and-six-minute series finale. After weeks of aggressive promoting by NBC and an almost unprecedented media blitz, viewers turned out en masse to bid Friends farewell. The final ratings from Nielsen Media Research have the episode with an incredible 52.5 million viewers! However, it is important to note that for major television events like the Friends finale, flaws in the Nielsen ratings system lead it to predict figures significantly lower than the actual number of viewers who likely saw the show. Nielsen only measures in-home viewing, and thus completely ignores viewers who watched at someone else's home, on college campuses and in college dormitories, at restaurants and bars, at hotels and motels, and anywhere else where numerous Friends finale viewing parties took place. As a result, NBC Research utilized survey data to compute a more accurate estimate of the finale's audience. Based on this estimate, the actual size of the audience who saw at least part of the episode is 65.9 million viewers!

Airing from 9:00 to 10:06, the Friends series finale, entitled "The Last One," was the second-most-watched program of the season behind the Super Bowl, pulling an amazingly dominant 29.8 rating and 43 share with 52.5 million viewers. Discounting the Super Bowl, it ranks as the most-watched television program in nearly six years! The numbers leave it as the highest-rated but second-most-watched Friends episode of all time behind The One After the Super Bowl, which utilized the Super Bowl's enormous lead-in audience in pulling 52.9 million viewers on January 28, 1996. The retrospective clip show airing from 8:00 to 9:00, "The One Before the Last One Ė Ten Years of Friends," also dominated, pulling a 22.0 rating and 35 share with 36.9 million viewers. The ratings success also carried over to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, which took place with the cast of Friends on the set of Central Perk, pulling 12.6 million viewers.

The Friends finale ranks as the fourth-most-watched series finale in television history. In 1983, the final episode of M*A*S*H pulled an average of 105.4 million viewers, easily the highest number in television history. Due to the proliferation of cable that has greatly eroded network television viewership over the past twenty years, this record will never be broken. Back then, viewers had three channels from which to choose; now, most have close to one hundred. The final episode of Cheers had 80.3 million viewers in 1993, while the 1998 series finale of Seinfeld came away with 76.2 million. Friends finished in third place overall for the 2003-2004 television season behind CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and American Idol (Tuesday). Of course, Friends' average was severely diluted by the number of reruns NBC was forced to air because of the lower number of new episodes agreed on for the show's final season.

To view the complete ratings charts for all ten seasons of Friends, use the links near the top of the post. This may be the end of Friends, but it is not the end of Planet Dan's ratings coverage. Stay tuned for Joey Ratings Presented by Dan, coming this September!

----------

Copyright © 2004 Dan Ginsburg. All rights reserved.

Last edited by DanG82 on Wed May 12, 2004 4:56 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chanandler bong
harris the happy hippo

errr... what do those numbers mean? Razz
Trisha_o4
Saw every Friends episode

the final still has to be shown in britain yet so the figure mite rise even more or r u on about only in america??

Ross + Rachel Foreva!

Tow the videotape:

Rachel: Clearly you donít want people to see this tape. Now I donít want people to see this tape either, but you so badly donít people to see it, it makes me want to see it. You see?

Joey: (confused) Are we watchiní the tape or not?!
(Fav ep!)
RnRLobsters4ever
Knows every episode by heart

Location: Warner Bros. Lot, stage 24, a.k.a. the Friends Stage

the finale was sooooooooooooo great!!! a lot of ppl in my school kept saying, did u watch friends last night?! it was sooo cool!! i loove the finale!!! i can't wait for the dvd to come out tuesday!!!! =D

DanG82
A new Ross and Rach fan

Post Re: RATINGS ARTICLE UPDATE #2: Over 50M, Final Nmbrs Not Out
Fri May 07, 2004 10:43 pm

The first post in this thread now contains the second update of my ratings article. This one takes into account that in the original reported preliminary ratings, the last six minutes of the Friends finale (from 10:00 to 10:06) were counted as part of ER's average instead of Friends' average. Obviously, adjusting to fix this gives Friends a boost, since the last six minutes were at the peak of its audience size, while significantly decreasing ER's numbers. Friends now has an estimate of 52.25 million viewers, but keep in mind that this is still a preliminary estimate, not the final numbers, which should be higher. In addition, NBC still hasn't released their estimate of the actual audience.

--DanG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trisha_o4
Saw every Friends episode

Haha i have no Idea what u are talkin about i'll read over it again!!

Ross + Rachel Foreva!

Tow the videotape:

Rachel: Clearly you donít want people to see this tape. Now I donít want people to see this tape either, but you so badly donít people to see it, it makes me want to see it. You see?

Joey: (confused) Are we watchiní the tape or not?!
(Fav ep!)
DanG82
A new Ross and Rach fan

Post Re: RATINGS ARTICLE UPDATE #2: Over 50M, Final Nmbrs Not Out
Sat May 08, 2004 9:58 pm

The final numbers appear to have Friends with 52.5 million viewers. As far as the rating & share, as well as the final numbers for the clip show, those will be up--along with the final version of my article--on Tuesday afternoon.

--DanG
DanG82
A new Ross and Rach fan

Post Re: FINAL RATINGS UPDATE: 65.9 Mil Viewers Bid Friends Farew
Wed May 12, 2004 4:59 am

THE FINAL RATINGS UPDATE IS NOW INCLUDED IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD!

NBC Research released its numbers today, and as I predicted, they were MUCH higher than the Nielsen ratings. An estimate of 65.9 million viewers actually saw at least some part of the Friends finale! The final Nielsen ratings have the episode with 52.5 million viewers, making it the highest-rated but second-most-watched Friends episode of all time.

It has been a pleasure to provide the ratings for all of you over the past four years. There will certainly be a feeling of emptiness on Thursday nights for awhile without Friends.

Fortunately, we have Joey to fill the Friends timeslot! This may be the end of Friends, but it is not the end of Planet Dan's ratings coverage. Stay tuned for Joey Ratings Presented by Dan, coming this September! Of course, until then, I'll be around here wasting as much time as possible. Wink

--DanG
 << View previous topic:   ::  View next topic: >>  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ross and Rachel forum Forum Index -> Season 10 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: